The Christmas dinner is finished, the turkey was roasted and everyone is stuffed. But there’s so much food left and we always have more than we need. So, what to do with the leftovers? For us, you can never fail with a leftover turkey sandwich. The fresh tomatoes, lettuce and avocado are a lovely change from the heavier rich flavours of Christmas.Here at Salted Orange Food Company, we really hate waste, so you can also add other leftovers such as bacon and cheese if you like.
Leftover Turkey Sandwich Recipe
- Sliced the turkey nice and thinly, remove any skin and just leave the delicious white meat.
- Next, take two thick slices of sourdough or rye bread and toast slightly. This will stop the wetter ingredients from soaking through the sandwich.
- Peel and de-seed an avocado, smash with salt and pepper until chunky and then spread generously on one side ensuring a good centimetre amount.
- Slice the tomatoes and place on top of the avocado and add the lettuce of your choosing. If you have bacon left at this point it is good to crisp under a grill and add to your sandwich.
- Finally, add the turkey then top with the bread and cut.
- Roasted turkey (sliced)
- Sourdough/Rye bread (sliced)
- 1 avocado
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large ripe tomato
Do not leave it too long before eating as the ingredients are best fresh and you don’t want the bread to become soggy. As always, tag us in your photos if you give this a try. I’m off to make one now as I’m salivating for a leftover turkey sandwich! We hope you have a magical Christmas and a happy new year.